Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Holiday Season

I know that the holiday season comes every year. I have 12 months to prepare and  plan, or so I think. I feel every year it becomes very difficult to plan this season around family and training. Some times I over think to the point of getting frustrated that I say, "the heck with it!"
During the initial planning I know who I have to spend my time with during Christmas. I need to see my grandparents, who live about 3 hours from me.  Can not miss my grandfather cooking pierogis in an old fashion way. It's one of my favorite holiday traditions (delicious food).

 I also, have to visit my sister and her family who lives in Indiana. Josh, Bruce (our puppy) and I spend at least two to three days there. One of my favorite reason to visit are my sister and brother-in-laws'  5 little ones ranging from 12 to 1. Seeing their faces, hearing the laughter run rapid around the house just puts me in the holiday spirit. After a wonderful meal we make our way to the living room, to exchange gifts. Here is where everyone's eyes light up with excitement and appreciation. Once the excitement settles down we unwind watch a classic on TV. This is where I start thinking about my next running day.

After the cookies, candies, and delicious food settles into my love handles, is when I start contemplating about getting back on the treadmill and marking down miles for the week.  I know that I have to make my weekly goal of 13+ miles but there is so much more important than those miles. I want to spend time with the family, telling stories and laughing till it's time for bed. I would hate for the family to think that I want to put my wants over them.
However, there is a little voice that tells me (especially at my sister's house) that if I do run, even just a short run I am showing my nieces and nephews that you should always be reaching for your goals in life. It won't take me all day maybe at the most 40 minutes or so.
Last year I let all the worrying and fears of training get the better of me. Will I train during the holiday season in between to cookies and mash potatoes?  I am going to try my best to make it to the treadmill and clock my miles. I won't get down on myself if I don't, I know that I will get back on scheduled soon. Christmas isn't about me and my miles, its about being with the ones that you love! Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment