Thursday, December 31, 2015

Disney Race Challenge Survival



I have had the privilege of running multiple Disney races. Recently, Disney has added challenges to their race weekends. I, like a running sap think, boy what a great idea! I love to push the limits.  The last challenge I participated in was the Disney Land Inaugural Star Wars Rebel Challenge.  When I agree to participate in another race weekend with my favorite running partner; I had no idea what I agreed to nor the new challenges that were in front of me.

Training. It is a dreaded word, which all runners must and should do to ensure they are well prepared. Running in a challenge is a little different because you need to prepare your body to run back to back days. It wouldn't be so difficult; however, your big miles runs are at the end.

Preparing myself for the Rebel Challenge wasn’t any different than training for Glass Slipper. I started by running my normal training plan for half marathons. When I reached 10 miles for my long run, I started mimicking the race weekend. Friday night I would run six miles and Saturday would be my long run day. Also, take in consideration where you are training; trails, asphalt, indoor track or the beloved, treadmill. You do need to remember that on race day there are inclines, declines and pot holes.Continuing to increase your mileage and the amount of days you run, does take a toll on your body.

ALWAYS, listen to your body if you are in pain, take the day off. Respect the rest day; don’t feel guilty that you have taken a day off. Your body needs time to heal and continuing to build the strength and muscles for your conquest. Make sure that what ever program that you decide to use to stick with it. If you plan on running both races try to keep a steady pace. Unless you are a professional, have been running long distances for years; do not start the run at your maximum pace.
Eat and eat healthy. Make sure you are eating enough to fuel your body. If your body is not properly fueled it will not produce the results you are looking for. I have learned that hard way that a spoon full of peanut butter is not enough fuel for my long runs. My stomach will cramp up, and I will become dizzy. When you fuel make each bite count.

Start planning your trip where are you going to stay, how many days will you go to the parks, and when will you go to the expo. This is the fun part. When training gets boring I start planning; it helps keep my eyes on the prize(s).

Race weekend creeps up and surprises me every time. I am over whelmed with panic and anticipation. I am worried I did not train enough, I am not prepared and maybe I will fail. If you are like me and those same thoughts run through you mind, R-E-L-A-X.  You have trained, fueled, hydrated, and haven’t felt this physically good in years.

The night before race day, be cautious of what you eat. Remember what you ingest tonight is what will still be in your system in the morning. Also, remember sometime foods like to make its presents known by sweating through your pours. Once again, listen to your body. You know what you are able to eat and you know the foods that do not always agree with you.
Also, get your outfit laid out that night along with your belt. Make sure everything that you need in the morning is in one place. If you need beans, gels, tissues, cell phone, maybe a snack or even a little piece of toast to help with a mid run hunger pains.  
Standing in corrals on both days; look around, enjoy looking at everyone’s costume, the smell of the air in the morning and remember that you can do this. Take your time; there is no need for you to run high speed right out of the gate. Enjoy this run, enjoy running through the parks, the back lots and some local roads. Don’t dread that hill coming up. Take your time up it and remember when you reach the top, there is free energy waiting for you to use on the way down.  If you need to take a break from running, walk.

When the miles start becoming tougher, and you start to questions why did I think that this was a good idea or whose bright idea was this run. Try to remember your motivation, the why in your choice to do take on this challenge. Maybe it is a Dole Whip or a special victory meal that is waiting for you at the finish line. I have had the privilege of running my challenges with my sister. Come mile 10 of the half marathon sometimes, we are at the point of not wanting to talk to each other. However, it is nice to have someone that is running next to you; knowing and feeling the struggles.
After your races are complete and around your neck you hear the chimes of the medals that you earned. There are a few things to remember to do, re-hydrate; water is good and good for you. Slip on or struggle putting on your compression socks. I know, I was once a non-believe of these socks but they really do help.  Get your feet out of those stinky running shoes. I prefer to wiggle into my cushioned sandals. Eat! After the Rebel challenge my sister and I went to the Blue Bayou and carb-loaded. It was pretty fabulous!  Embrace that you are walking a little funny or maybe slower than you normally do.  Enjoy the nods and strangers congratulating you on your accomplishments.

Doing a challenge is a personal choice. You will know when it is time to take on the commitment of saying yes, to doing it. There will be lots of hours of training to ensure your body is prepared for the miles that you are going to be putting on. Listen to your body, do you need a rest day, ice or more fuel. Make sure you give your body what it needs. Compression socks, they will be your best friend. Especially, after your long runs. Be mentally prepared, everyday is not going to be rainbows and Mickey waffles, but future you will look back and be thankful for your sacrifices and hard work.
As a wise person once said, "Do or do not, there is not try."




Virtual Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend Blog Hop Directory

3 comments:

  1. Training is so important! I have some friends who do the Disney half marathons with little to no training and not only are they pretty miserable afterwards, they also put themselves at risk of a serious injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. training incentive for me is NOT wanting to feel lousy at the finish line. Gread read!
    PS that pic is the ONLY race in which we were speaking to each other at mile 10....we should have that frames ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. training is so crucial! For the challenges, the back to back runs are key-no matter your pace, get those miles in!

    ReplyDelete